- Contact Patricia Schriner at email@example.com
- For Science Olympiad, you can put this link: https://www.soinc.org/
Science Olympiad – sponsored by Mrs. Troia
Science Olympiad is an international non-profit organization devoted to increasing student interest in science. This is partially accomplished through an annual competition where teams compete in science and engineering events. Dansville’s Science Olympiad teams typically start meeting after school in October, with evening meetings added later in the year. Students in Science Olympiad work toward the goal of competing in the Regional Science Olympiad Tournament at Lansing Community College in March. Up to five of the top schools at Regionals move on to the state competition in April at Michigan State University.
Science Olympiad Goals
- To create a passion for learning science by supporting elementary and secondary Science Olympiad tournaments at building, district, county, state and national levels with an emphasis on teamwork and a commitment to excellence.
- To improve the quality of K-12 science education throughout the nation by changing the way science is perceived and the way it is taught (with an emphasis on problem solving and hands-on, minds-on constructivist learning practices). This goal is accomplished through in-depth core curriculum training workshops and the distribution of curriculum materials.
- To celebrate and recognize the outstanding achievement of both students and teachers in the areas of science and technology by awarding thousand of certificates, medals, trophies and scholarships.
- To promote partnerships among community, businesses, industry, government and education.
Science Olympiad Tournament Goals
- To bring science to life, to show how science works, to emphasize problem solving aspects of science and the understanding of science concepts.
- To develop teamwork and cooperative learning strategies among students.
- To make science education more exciting so more students will enroll in science courses and engage in other science activities like science reading, fairs, meetings and field trips.
- To promote high levels of achievement and a commitment to excellence, to demonstrate that American students can perform at levels that surpasses expectations of even practicing scientists and engineers.
- To attract more students particularly females and minorities to professional and technical careers in science, technology and science teaching.
Dansville Middle School has been participating in Science Olympiad for over 20 years.
Dansville Middle School
The staff of Dansville Middle School is committed to providing a program for successful learning in a positive environment to meet the needs of all students. We will educate and help them achieve to the best of their abilities while fostering positive social and emotional growth. Through parental involvement and support, we will strive to help students become responsible and educated individuals.
Our learning community provides students with an extremely talented teaching staff, a variety of learning opportunities and an opportunity to grow and challenge themselves. Our hope is that students leave Dansville Middle School empowered to stay intellectually engaged, instilled with behaviors in keeping with responsible citizenship and the initiative necessary to become the best person they can be.
In order to continue with our mission, Dansville Middle School staff is consistently working to update and change programs.
This year we will continue to implement Positive Behavioral and Intervention Support Program (PBIS). This system includes a specific behavior matrix that is used to teach students the expected behaviors.