Dansville Middle School has been participating in Science Olympiad for over 20 years.
Science Olympiad Mission
Science Olympiad is a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers. These goals are achieved by participating in Science Olympiad tournaments and non-competitive events, incorporating Science Olympiad into classroom curriculum and attending teacher training institutes.
Science Olympiad Goals
- To create a passion for learning science by supporting elementary and secondary Science Olympiad tournaments at building, district, county, state and national levels with an emphasis on teamwork and a commitment to excellence.
- To improve the quality of K-12 science education throughout the nation by changing the way science is perceived and the way it is taught (with an emphasis on problem solving and hands-on, minds-on constructivist learning practices). This goal is accomplished through in-depth core curriculum training workshops and the distribution of curriculum materials.
- To celebrate and recognize the outstanding achievement of both students and teachers in the areas of science and technology by awarding thousand of certificates, medals, trophies and scholarships.
- To promote partnerships among community, businesses, industry, government and education.
Science Olympiad Tournament Goals
- To bring science to life, to show how science works, to emphasize problem solving aspects of science and the understanding of science concepts.
- To develop teamwork and cooperative learning strategies among students.
- To make science education more exciting so more students will enroll in science courses and engage in other science activities like science reading, fairs, meetings and field trips.
- To promote high levels of achievement and a commitment to excellence, to demonstrate that American students can perform at levels that surpasses expectations of even practicing scientists and engineers.
- To attract more students particularly females and minorities to professional and technical careers in science, technology and science teaching.
Dansville Middle School
The staff of Dansville Middle School is committed to providing a program for successful learning in a positive environment to meet the needs of all students. We will educate and help them achieve to the best of their abilities while fostering positive social and emotional growth. Through parental involvement and support, we will strive to help students become responsible and educated individuals.
Our learning community provides students with an extremely talented teaching staff, a variety of learning opportunities and an opportunity to grow and challenge themselves. Our hope is that students leave Dansville Middle School empowered to stay intellectually engaged, instilled with behaviors in keeping with responsible citizenship and the initiative necessary to become the best person they can.
In order to continue with our mission, Dansville Middle School staff is consistently working to update and change programs.
This year we will continue to implement Positive Behavioral and Intervention Support Program (PBIS). This system includes a specific behavior matrix that is used to teach students the expected behaviors. It will also incorporate our SOAR (Safety, Organization, Attitude and Responsibility) character building program to all students.