Section 105 and 105c Schools of Choice Policy Unlimited Enrollment
Dansville Schools has the option of accepting students from other districts within the
ISD boundaries (Section 105) to attend their school, as well as the option of accepting
students from districts within the boundaries of an ISD that is contiguous to the ISD of
Dansville Schools (Section 105c), or both. Dansville Schools shall not charge tuition
for pupils who are enrolled under Section 105 or Section 105c and is not required to have
the resident district’s approval for School of Choice students enrolled in Dansville Schools
under Section 105 and 105c.
Following are Dansville Schools’ procedures to enroll unlimited School of Choice students.
- Applications are mailed to parents/legal guardians after inquires are received by
the school district. These inquiries can be made to the Superintendent’s office or to
each individual school office. Parents of incoming kindergarten students are encouraged
to attend kindergarten orientation in April, if at all possible. School of Choice
applications are accepted until the first Friday after the start of school for first
semester and the first Friday of the second semester for second semester.
- Prospective School of Choice kindergarten students who have attended kindergarten
round-up are accepted in late May or early June.
- Applications received before late May or early June (effective in September)
are copied for the respective building principal. The building principal calls the
student’s resident school for a background check. Two questions are asked – if the
student has been expelled or if the student has been suspended more than once during
the last school year. Dansville Schools will not accept students who have been expelled
from other districts. Students who have been suspended from school may not be
eligible to attend Dansville Schools as a School of Choice student. We reserve the
right to deny admission based upon review of the student’s discipline and attendance
- In May, letters are sent to the parents/legal guardians of current School of
Choice students requesting a written verification of their return to Dansville Schools
the following year. All School of Choice students presently enrolled will automatically
be enrolled in subsequent years until their graduation from Dansville High School.
- Siblings of previously enrolled and returning School of Choice students are
automatically accepted in Dansville Schools. As stated in #3 above, Dansville Schools
reserves the right to deny admission based upon review of the student’s discipline and
attendance records. Dansville Schools will not accept students who have been expelled
from other districts. Students who have been suspended from school may not be eligible
to attend Dansville Schools as a School of Choice student.
- A student admitted under an application containing false statements may be released
from Dansville Schools.
- All new applications are sent a letter stating whether or not they have been
accepted to Dansville Schools as a School of Choice student.
- The Transportation Department will be sent a list of all School of Choice students
who are requesting transportation to Dansville Schools.
- Transportation is not provided to School of Choice students unless arrangements are
made for the student to be picked up and dropped off at an established Dansville School’s
bus stop and there is available space on the bus to accommodate the student(s).
Dansville Schools adheres with the Michigan Compiled Laws 388.1705 and 388.1705c regarding
School of Choice students.